Friday, September 16, 2011

Question 1

I propose the rainbow and family quilt metaphor because a rainbow is one bow of many colors that all shine together in a beautiful way. When we look up and see a rainbow we see it for what it is, the whole rainbow. A family quilt is a soft blanket of which every portion of the quilt contributes equally to create one large comfortable blanket. Although I doubt the person who first used the "melting pot" meant any harm by creating it, I do think that it creates a visual that we are all blending together to become one, and in this process our differences are no longer noticeable. Our differences are what creates this diversity in the first place, and by trying to make us all the same I think we would lose the beauty in all of the differences we have from each other. When asked this question in the past I thought that a salad metaphor was appropriate because so many different things go into making the salad taste good, whereas each part on it's own may be good, but becomes even better when mixed together with other ingredients. The only problem with using that one is that I can see where some people may imply that the lettuce or dressing is more important than the tomatoes or croutons, etc. These are the reasons I like the rainbow and family quilt metaphor because each part of the whole equation is equal and necessary for the sum. In the case of American society I believe that our differences are what makes us America. 

No comments:

Post a Comment