Saturday, October 8, 2011

An Interesting Concept-Emotion Work

I found the concept of emotion work to be an interesting part of the chapter. I like that I can finally put a name to this type of communication as opposed to just calling it being "fake". Emotion work is how we condition ourselves to feel a certain way because we believe we should feel that way. In Wood (2010) there is an example given that  we "might think it is wrong to feel gleeful when someone you dislike is hurt". This is because we are taught that it is wrong to have that type of negative attitude toward someone. For the most part in our culture, including sports where people are extremely competitive, it is expected that you congratulate others for their win even if their win meant your loss. Although someone may want to express other emotion toward someone in certain situations, they will likely use emotion work to show someone what they think is the appropriate behavior for that situation. I feel that I use emotion work for people when they express to me that they are pregnant because I don't have the same attitudes as many people I know about pregnancy. I was adopted at birth, and I plan to adopt two children, and I don't have that biological maternal instinct that many women claim they have. I think that many people assume all women want to be pregnant. When women tell me they are pregnant I have caught myself wanting to just say "Oh that's great" and then I use emotion work and  respond with something that I think they will like more such as "That's wonderful, do you know if you are having a girl or boy?" Then if they say "girl" I say something to relate which is that "I plan to adopt a baby girl in the near future". By asking them this question I am telling the truth, and I am using a socially acceptable response that they probably hear twenty times a day and would never be offended by.

No comments:

Post a Comment