Saturday, October 1, 2011

My 3 Responses to Others

Unfortunately this is the message I have been getting when trying to leave comments on other posts. In fear that I will miss the deadline I am posting them here. I know some may not get a chance to read these responses on their blogs, but maybe some will. :/

Here is the message I get every time I try to post:

We're sorry, but we were unable to complete your request.

The following errors were found:
Input error: Cookie value is null for FormRestoration
If this happens next week I may have to use a work or school computer for leaving comments to others.


Response to Listening is a 10 part skill

Hi Elek,

I think that not working hard enough at listening is one of the
easiest mistakes to make. I often wonder how much more information I
would have processed if I had effectively listened through the types
of lectures you were discussing. I can think back to my Anthropology
class of which I was so excited to learn about, and I remember
specific lectures where I was zoning out because the information
became a lot to process. It is almost as though your brain says "Hey
I'm tired, I'm checking out for awhile". Then I would find myself
alert and listening better when tests and project due dates were
mentioned(hence the reason they mention selective listening as a
problem too). Being tired is one thing that can effect listening and
this leads me to believe that being well rested is crucial for anyone
who has to listen to anyone else for something such as school, work,
or mentoring such as you mentioned in an older post. Listening can be
work. I enjoyed reading your post. 



Response to Week 5, Post 1. Nonlistening

Hi EatingTurtle,

I was also able to relate a specific style of listening such as
monopolizing listening to a personal experience with a friend. I
thought that it was interesting that you mentioned that this is
something you have accepted in her because I consider my friend who
does this to be a great friend. It's almost as though I am used to it
at this point because it is not surprising when she starts directing
any conversation back to herself. Your post had me thinking a lot
about how it might be better for people to tell one another how they
feel in these situations. This may be easier said then done, but
there are many people who may not be aware that they are not
listening as effectively possible. I think that some people might be
surprised to find out what someone else thinks about their listening
skills, and I am willing to listen to someone else tell me what they
thought about mine.


Response to Nonlistening I need to improve on

Hey Nessa,

I liked the honesty of your post. I have selective listened before as
well, and I think that most people do to some degree. It can
sometimes be hard to block out other things you are thinking of when
someone is talking to you. This happened to me this week with someone
at work who was asking me a question and I did not hear all of what
they had been talking to me about so it made for an awkward
experience when I had to answer them. It's one thing if someone had
just asked you a question because you could just ask them to repeat
it, but it's another thing to have to ask someone to repeat different
parts of a conversation they already thought they were having.
Learning about these types of listening has really been beneficial in
how I plan to change my own communication style for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment