Thursday, December 8, 2011

Question One

This has been one of the most informative classes I have taken for communication studies. I have learned a significant amount of information about interpersonal communication. The concepts that stand out the most are verbal and nonverbal communication, and the importance of nonverbal communication that people tend to overlook since people are not always educated on what to look for in nonverbal communication. Similarities include both forms of communication being symbolic, rule-guided, intentional or unintentional, and reflecting of culture (Wood 2010). The differences are that these forms of communication can replace the other in specific situations, and nonverbal can help us determine when it's our turn to speak, as well as helps us express our feelings about others. For example, we can show boredom as well as happiness without using verbal communication to express these emotions. I have also learned about friendship and romantic relationships, and the growth phases they go through to evolve or in other cases end. While completing my third paper assignment I learned about my own relationship while applying key concepts we have learned in this class including the growth stages that begin with our individuality that affects how we seek out others for romantic relationships. We don't often realize this while we are single, but it makes sense to me now that I have learned how this process works. The obstacles to mindful listening including message complexity and internal and external obstacles. Selective listening which one of the forms of nonlistening that Wood explains as "focusing only on a particular parts of communication" is something that I do often and learning about it has helped me learn how to be more mindful of it when I am doing this. Overall, I have learned communication skills and concepts that I will not forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment