Saturday, November 19, 2011

Question 3-Ethnicity and Parenting

In Wood (2010) I read that "parents whose ethnicity is not the dominant or priveleged one in their culture tend to invest more energy in instilling ethnic pride in children than do parents who belong to priveleged ethnic groups". I found this section to be interesting because I come from a stereotypical white family. Although my step-father who raised me is Mexican-American, he rarely spoke to us about his culture or instilled any of his cultural on us growing up. My mother is German-Irish, but she is third generation so she does not have any German or Irish traditions or cultural values that we learned about growing up. She occasionally spoke about her German grandmother who was not a very loving woman, but always baked the yummiest pies and desserts. I have always felt that because our family was raised without any value placed on our ethnic background, that I don't really have an ethnicity. When people ask me what my ethnic background is I usually become annoyed with the question, and I have realized over the years that it is because I don't feel like I have any validity in answering that comment. If I were to start listing the different countries that my biological parents have ancestory in, what is the point in doing so? I won't feel any more ethnic pride because I was never raised with any to begin with. My brothers like to get into that Irish pride stuff and I find it rather silly because neither one has been to Ireland, and they don't eat Irish food, or listen to Irish music, nor do they even know any Irish history. I think that many white people like to gravitate toward  things like Irish-pride or Italian-pride because they see that other ethnic groups have a sense of unity and pride that many people who are considered white seem to lack. As I get older I realize that there is pride in being someone who doesn't have a particular culture either. I like that I am not partial to any group of culture, and I can find interest and beauty in every last culture on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment