Thursday, November 10, 2011

Environmental Spoiling

I found the concept of "environmental spoiling" which Wood (2010) describes as "situations in which proximity breeds ill will" to be an interesting part of the chapter. Although this concept was not a large part of the chapter, I was able to identify with it because I have experienced this with people. We have all been in proximity with people who we are not attracted to or dislike, and sometimes people never seem to "grow on us" as others say they might. My mother used to tell me that I would eventually like my sisters boyfriend once I realized that he meant well even in situations when I thought he was just being plain rude to people. Well I was never able to find any personality excuses for his rudeness, and up until the day that they broke up he had never grown on me. I found it really awkward to be in close proximity to him which created environmental spoiling in my life. The more I was around him, the more ill will I felt. When my sister broke up with him she said her main loss of attraction was his arrogance and rudeness to others. She said that he was constantly trying to prove himself as right in any argument with someone and that he never listened to other peoples point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment