Friday, November 18, 2011
Question 2
In 50 years I predict that some of the current restrictions we place on marriage will be lifted such as the same-sex marriage ban. Just as people grew out of the 17th century marriage restrictions based on race in the U.S.. I believe that our current restrictions will change to accept people who don't fit into one box. In this country, marriage used to be between an older white man and a very young white girl who was considered a "virgin" bride. At that time interacial marriage was out of the question. Many people don't like to think about that now, or are unaware of that part of history. If that were to happen today most people would be alarmed. As new generations lose their prejudices and reach voting ages, change will happen over this span of time. I think that marriage will still hold some traditional customs such as ceremony and vows, but I think that the opposite-sex only part of the equation will be changed to accept people of the LGBT community. As of now a woman can't marry a woman, but if she were to become transgendered male, she would be granted the right to marry a woman. I think that in 50 years we will look back on this and see how unfair this is that we place so much emphasis on a heterosexual norm for the appearance of marriage. I think that marriage will probably be a certificate that is much easier to obtain than it is now for many people. Some people who are not able to legally marry now would like to do so for other reasons than to have a big church ceremony. Marriage has already been evolving since it was created, so it is not unrealistic to expect some type of change over the span of 50 years. Marriage is a part of society, and as that society evolves, the defintion of marriage will too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Catana,
ReplyDeleteI agree with your post that in 50 years same sex marriage will be acceptable in all 50 states. Even though inter-racial marriages is acceptable by about half the population now I think it will become acceptable by all individuals as more people realize they have more than one major culture in their background. I also agree that the term marriage will also change. Marriage might be just for church purposes while another form/term of marriage will be used by the government or it could be just the opposite. Either way I believe churches and states will use two different terms when defining marriage so that legislation is passed which allows people to marry whether heterosexual or homosexual.
Thanks for sharing,
Katrina