Friday, November 4, 2011

An Interesting Concept

I found the concept of socioeconomic class and friendship to be an interesting part of the chapter. When I applied this to my personal life I realized that the friendships that I relate to the most are with those that are of the same class as me. This makes sense because we are usually able to directly relate to the others experience. An example of this is a friend of mine who is as broke as I am these days. When we talk we don't judge each other based on our wealth status, but she once disclosed to me that one of her coworkers who is well off financially asked her out of the blue if she was "One of those people who likes being poor?". I thought this was a really rude question, but it goes to show that some people do judge others by their financial status. Whether or not this should be of importance in a friendship, I was able to make a connection based on what we read about how these factors do exist. Social categories such as class, gender and race do have a role in friendships and relationships with others. In my personal experience the people I know tend to form more friendships with the same gender (I am aware that many people form cross-sex friendships). And there are those that form stronger connections when they are able to relate directly with another person based on culture, class or race.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post! It is true that people that are of the same class usually make friendships together because they can relate better to each other. On a side note I think your friend's coworker was very rude to say a comment like that to your friend. People do not have to be friends with others they do not feel they can relate to but that does not give them right to judge others. It is easier to form friendships within social categories such as class, gender, and race but I do not agree with just limiting yourself to what is comfortable (I am talking more to myself b/c I tend to form friendships with people I am more comfortable with). I think that we should try more often to scramble the social categories and try to get to know people we would not easily get to know and see if we can form friendships without thinking so much about social categories.

    ReplyDelete